Sunday, February 8, 2009

It may be beautiful, but there are a few downsides...hahaha


Funny story, when we got here, we found out that there are apparently rattlesnakes, scorpions, tarantulas and black widows around the center... goody. We have to do scorpion checks in our mattresses and sheets every night before we go to sleep (of course we're not exactly sure what we're supposed to do if we actually find one...). Fortunately, I have not yet encountered any of these creatures, however, the professors almost guaranteed that we would have them under our tents and sleeping bags when we go on our camping trips, yikes!

Eventually, we're supposed to go out at night with a black light and look for some scorpions, which I am actually looking forward to!

Here's a picture of a pretty big spider some of us happen to come across as we were walking around the center after dark, ahhh! 


2 comments:

  1. Yay a whale! I can picture you going crazy with excitement at the sight of it! Sounds like you are having a good time but spiders and scorpions are scary, make sure to do your bed checks and stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd have just passed out on the spot if I'd casually happened upon that spider. Yikes! I hope they steer clear of your sleeping bag.

    ReplyDelete